Wednesday 5 January 2011

Planning: Shot Techniques and Inspiration

During our video, the 'puppet' scene will involve Stop Motion editing. Therefore, I decided to get inspiration from official music videos and also some help from YouTube tutorial videos to help us as it seems a complicated, long winded task.
We will also be using a fast paced, disjointed style of editing for the party scenes to make them seem raucous and out of control.

Inspiration for Stop Motion
Inspiration for this video was Kate Nash's 'Foundations' which uses Stop Motion throughout the video. Also, I looked at 'Her Morning Elegance' by Oren Lavie which shows clear stop Motion editing. I really liked the images of the girl walking across the bed, which inspired me for the puppet/wind up doll scenes as I feel it will look really effective. The third video on Stop Motion was really inspiring and looks amazing.
However, we are only planning on using Stop Motion for certain parts of the videos so it should be slightly easier. I think it will look good to use stop motion on the 'wind up doll' as she walks across the room to give a disjointed, vintage effect. I think the main difficulty will be editing the stop motion so that it fits in with the beat of the song. I researched various Youtube videos to see if any could help me.








I found this tutorial really easy to understand, it's simple and effective. It also inspired me for a stop motion shot in the party scene of a glass of wine filling up and going back down as the evening progresses. I think this would look really simple but also really effective. I think it would also be a good idea to do stop motion of one of the puppets batting their eyelashes, playing drums etc so they all have a disjointed and inhuman feel.


Fast Editing

During the party scenes, we require various styles of editing. Mainly, the shots will all be very fast paced to create a raucous, out of control atmosphere. I feel that the video 'Just Dance' by Lady Gaga does this really well as the party scenes are constructed via fast moving, uncoherant shots. I really like the way every shot seems to flow well into the next, creating a whirlwind effect that could be percieved as a point of view shot aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment